Saturday, May 05, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #113 Flea

Name : Flea
Age : Old enough to know better
Location : The Annex
Vocation : Musician
Philosophy : If all else fails, read the instructions

Sum up what your blog is about.
Politics and pop culture as seen from Northanger Abbey.

Why are you doing your blog?
My Hyde Park soapbox is not handy for Toronto so I am not left with much choice. I would quite desperately like to stop blogging, actually, but if I did I fear my pineal gland would explode.




What's the funniest entry on your site?
I think my review of CBC logos was quite witty and of interest even to foreigners and those of us who tend not to watch the CBC (excepting Coronation Street broadcasts and the title sequence of Hockey Night in Canada).

What is your writing style?
Seventy-five words per minute on a USB Hansen Writing Ball means I write with more of a flourish than is strictly necessary.

What do people commonly say about your site?
They only read it for the articles. And the totty.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing your blog?
I would sleep in until 7am and quite possibly represent the people of Trinity-Spadina as a Member of Parliament.

Why should someone visit your site?
It is that or I stand outside the front door rattling a tin cup and crying (slowly at first). Trust me, nobody wants to see that twice.

What did you learn from your first love?
Sed fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus.

Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
Oh yes, lots. I start my day with Rantburg, for example. I stroll down my blog roll through the course of the week.

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
From beyond the grave: Gwen MacEwan, a poet who explored the Toronto inside Toronto. I would like to thank her for everything.
From the here and now: Christopher Hitchens. All this bourbon is not going to drink itself.

What do you dislike in 21st century culture?
The 21st century has a culture? How fascinating for it.

Tell us about a good deed you have done recently.
So much of good manners and common courtesy takes the form of forbearance. Many of my recent good deeds are in the form of things I have not done.

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
I have a rather clever story about funding research in the UK heating/ventilating and air-conditioning industry but it is a bit convoluted for this context. Suffice to say the British government is the clear origin of Vogon planning permission etiquette.

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Quit your job. Live the life you were meant to.

Any interesting travel stories?
I was arguing so vehemently the merits of my hypothetical black-and-blue garden over Vita Sackville-West's white garden that I missed the train station for Sissinghurst. Though I think that was more amusing for those who were present at the time that it sounds in retrospect. I was right, by the way.

Do you have any strong opinions you would like to debate with me?
You can defend single malts while I advance the cause of Irish blends.

Joe Blogs : Single malt is whiskey as it should be, back in the day they used to call it the water of life. So single malt is pure quality. An Irish blend is like decaffeinated coffee, not drunk as God intended.

What's the most incredible thing that ever happened to you?
Noticing spirals in her eyes.

Now it's your turn! Ask me one question, anything you like.
You have an opinion about whether it was an African or a European swallow, don't you? J'accuse!

Joe Blogs : Oh your refer to Monty Python And The Holy Grail! I'd need to know the airspeed velocity and colour of the swallow my friend. What is this the Spanish Inquisition?

Your Site Address : Ghost Of A Flea