Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #98 Jeffrey Archer

Name : Jeffrey Archer (Wikipedia & IMDB)
Age : 66
Location : London
Vocation : Author and would-be Captain of the England cricket team
Philosophy : work and more work

Sum up what your blog is about.
My day to day life

Why are you doing your blog?
In order to keep in touch with my readers who continually write to me with queries and comments.

What is your writing style?
I either write it out for my PA who posts it on the blog or I dictate it – I don’t use a computer!

What do people commonly say about your site?
A lot of people comment on how much I squeeze in to one day, but that’s simply because I’d be easily bored if I wasn’t busy.

What would you be doing if you weren’t doing your blog?
It takes twenty minutes a day so I fit it in between writing or meetings or watching cricket.

Why should someone visit your site?
For more details about my books.

What did you learn from your first love?
She was an art student, and she passed on to me her passion for art.

Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
Richard Charkin’s Blog – he is like me, a failed but would-be cricketer.

As a successful novel writer, where do the inspirations for your books come from?
This is the question I am most asked, and the one that I am simply unable to answer – I have no idea.

What lessons have you learned from working in the political arena?
I haven’t got an hour to answer this question.

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
Thomas Jefferson to talk to him about the forming of the American Constitution and the early days of the Washington Presidency; Nelson Mandela, to ask him how he was able to maintain such a dignified stance on leaving prison, and Annette Benning, who I’ve been mad about for longer than I care to admit.

What policy would you most like to action in government?
Getting rid of the clock change - only the Scots in Cabinet and government hold it up.

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Keep fit.

Any interesting travel stories?
I hate travel, I hate planes, trains, cars – I view them only as a necessity.

What’s the most incredible thing that ever happened to you?
Going to prison.

Joe Blogs : The famous Lord Jeffrey Archer kindly answered my questions, and quite revealing they are too. He doesn't use a computer and dictates his blog, that's when you know you've made it Jeffrey!

Jeffrey has an impressive CV, being a very successful author and renowned former politician. Jeffrey has been published in 63 countries and more than 32 languages with international sales of more than 125 million copies, a couple of his famous books being, Kane And Abel, and The Fourth Estate, to name but two.

His political life has had many highs, and he is undoubtedly a great leader, he was a member of parliament for Louth for 5 years, a former Deputy Chairman of the Conservative party for 1 year, a Conservative Party Candidate for London Mayor, and was made a Life Peer by the Queen in 1992. Jeffrey was charged with perjury and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in 2001, and was released in July 2003 having served 2 years in prison. He published 3 volumes of his prison diaries, Volume I Hell, Volume II Purgatory, and Volume III Heaven .

Oh and just a wonderful random fact to round off, in 1966 he ran 100 yards in 9.6 seconds for Great Britain!

So all in all a complex character with a very interesting life, and I have only touched the surface in my profile here. It is well worth checking out his blog, and literary works. And thanks again for taking part Jeffrey.

P.S. You mention your first love taught you a passion for art. I can relate because when in San Francisco I lost my 'art.