Monday, February 26, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #92 Comedian Richard Herring

Name : Richard Herring (Wikipedia, & IMDB)
Age : 39
Location : London UK
Vocation : Writer and comedian.
Philosophy : My enemy's enemy is my friend. Unfortunately my enemy is his own worst enemy, so I have to invite him to barbecues, which is quite annoying.

Sum up what your blog is about.
I basically try to take one incident from the day and write about it in a humorous way. I find the smaller the incident, the funnier it tends to be. It's mainly about my own stupidity, paranoia and wasted life




Why are you doing your blog?
The initial idea was that it would be an attempt to write for half an hour in the morning to warm up for the proper work I had to do. I also wanted to record the minutia of life that so often gets forgotten. As it turns out it's often the only thing I write in the day, but it has been a brilliant way to generate material and actually led to me getting back into stand up. Most of the material in my last two shows originated in the blog.

What's the funniest entry on your site?
This is the one of my favourites - (click here) and probably sums up the ethos of the blog more than any other. It also went on to form the cornerstone of my 2005 stand up show. It's something that I would never have considered for stand up if it hadn't been for the blog and that I would never have written down.

What is your writing style?
Not for me to say.

What do people commonly say about your site?
It generally seems to amuse and impress people, though seems to infuriate about one in a thousand people who perhaps take me a little seriously.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing your blog?
I would be wasting the time in some less productive manner.

Why should someone visit your site?
Because they want to.

What did you learn from your first love?
This question seems out of place.

Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
Emma Kennedy's is quite good despite being a copy of mine. Andrew Collings does a good one.

They say comedy acting is the hardest, do you agree?
The hardest thing ever? Probably not. The hardest kind of acting? Not for me. Serious acting is pretty difficult. Being funny is much easier for me. But acting is much harder than it looks.

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
Kurt Vonnegut is the greatest living writer and I would love to listen to him talking for an evening.

What website would you recommend and why?
Not BBC is an entertaining forum for debates about comedy.

How do you deal with a heckler in the audience?
In many different ways. Too detailed to go into here. But basically they are almost certainly less funny and more drunk and more stupid than me, so it's a matter of answering quickly and wittily, without losing your temper.

Tell us about a good deed you have done recently.
I have helped to destroy the environment with my selfish use of natural resources, thus hastening the destruction of the human race, which is a blight and a cancer that must be wiped out for the sake of the rest of the planet.

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
Go to my website. There's four years worth on there.

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
This question does not quite make sense. What advice would I now give the me of five years ago? With the benefit of hindsight? Is that what you mean? I would have advised me to stop wasting so much time and do more work and I am sure the me of 5 years time would offer the same advice to the me of now. I wouldn't want to change any of the mistakes I have made. They have all been instructive and you kind of have to live through the rubbish stuff because just having someone telling you about it is not enough.

Any interesting travel stories?
Here's one, click here

What's the most incredible thing that ever happened to you?
Beating the other 600 million sperm to make it to the egg.

Now it's your turn! Ask me one question, anything you like.

What's the point?

Joe Blogs : Quite a blunt question I must say! Granted, I did say ask any question. Man, your one opportunity to ask me a question and you blew it! I'm confused how to answer, you did say 'What's the point?', I don't know whether to refer you to the Samaritans helpline, or a cartographer. F1 Driver Jenson Button would also like to know what a point is as well I imagine.

What is the point in it all, maybe my readers can enlighten us? Or better still visit comedy legend Richard Herring's Blog, Warming Up, whose work includes Stand Up shows 'Talking Cock' and 'Someone Likes Yoghurt', also writing credits include Lee & Herring, Time Gentlemen Please, & Script Editor on 3rd Series of Little Britain to name but a few.


Your Site Address : Richard Herring's Warming Up