Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #86 Jack At The Top Of The Beanstalk!

Name : Jack Yan (IMDB & Wikipedia profiles!)
Age : 34
Location : Wellington, New Zealand
Vocation : CEO, Jack Yan & Associates
Philosophy : Confucianist.

Sum up what your blog is about.
It's mainly a business blog on branding, leadership and the media, but like all TV shows that go on for too long, I start talking about the characters—in this case, me.

Why are you doing your blog?
Originally, to vent. There are more nutters on the planet than sane people. Now, I just do it as a way to chill out. Call it contributory escapism.

What’s the funniest entry on your site?
I began keeping a personal blog, separate from the non-work one, and I would say these got some good feedback, Theories On The Disappearance Of Chuck Cunningham, & Business Idea. I am probably funnier in comments.

What is your writing style?
Probably “honest” with a dose of humility. More Cosby Show than Benson. More Sam Tyler than Gene Hunt. More Bodie than Doyle. Dad hates Martin Shaw. I should mention that.

What do people commonly say about your site?
Most of the feedback I get is positive, but to others, I am one of those nutters that folks write about on their blogs.

What would you be doing if you weren’t doing your blog?
I'd be going around the world pretending to be Richard Bradford in Man in a Suitcase. Which probably means I'd be hanging around Elstree Studios pretending I was going around the world. Come to think of it, I'd rather blog.

Why should someone visit your site?
To know that there are weirder people than them.

What did you learn from your first love?
I'm still learning from her.

Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
Quite a few. Off the top of my head, Mark Allen's one is quite fun if you want to chill out. It's a dose of life from a mad Australian student. He may be the only bastard weirder than me. Speaking of weird, check out George W. Bush

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
Lee Kuan Yew. That guy is smart. Maybe Sir John Major. That guy is smart. And Cmdr. Straker from UFO. Whaaaat? He's fictional? Damn. Obviously, on those counts, there are numerous politicians who would never get on my guest list.

What one website would you recommend and why?
I'd recommend any of mine, so my traffic and earnings from it can go up. Visit Lucire!

Tell us about a good deed you have done recently.
Gave a guy on welfare some tips on how to start his own business. That man is now Sir Richard Branson. OK, he isn't. But if he becomes a greeting-card tycoon, I am hitting that boy up for a loan.

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
We were at a Japanese restaurant once but we had a Chinese waitress. I said to her, 'So, are there real Japanese chefs back there?' She said there were. 'Out of curiosity, do you ever chat about, oooh, let's see, randomly, history? And do you ever cover the period from, let's say, oooh, 1933 to 1945?' Diplomatically, she didn't answer and tried to get through the order, but someone kept bringing up the war. If the waitress was Japanese, I suppose we would have got to, 'You started it.' 'No, you started it, you invaded Manchuria!' A chap called John Cleese once adapted my story for one of his sitcoms. I forget which one.

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Don't be too guilty about going out with a girl in her late teens when you hit 30, because you've got the excuse that she looked a bit older.

What is the key to business success?
Being yourself and getting rid of all your negative influences.

Any interesting travel stories?
I slept on the couch at a student flat in Germany once. (One of the students was returning a favour.) The thing was, everyone in that flat had either been to New Zealand, or was at the time in New Zealand. So, here I was, in Germany, where there are posters of Lake Tekapo and all of New Zealand all over the place. And student flats all over the western world look the same (wallpaper from The Sweeney, 60 W bulbs lighting the place). It was just mind-boggling. I'm sure there were moments I didn't know whether I was on Aro Street in Wellington or in the BRD.

What’s the most incredible thing that ever happened to you?
Falling in love, and that a girl can have all the qualities I've looked for.

Now it’s your turn! Ask me one question, anything you like.

Is Grandpa Blog's blog still around?

Joe Blogs : No, the hieroglyphics wasn't working out for him. Only mummy could read it.

Your Site Address : Jack Yan