Monday, March 05, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #97 Iain Dale

Name : Iain Dale
Age : 44
Location : London
Vocation : Political Commentator
Philosophy : Conservative

Sum up what your blog is about.
Political analysis, commentary, gossip and humour.

Why are you doing your blog?
It gives me a platform to say the things I want to.

What's the funniest entry on your site?
The one where I pretended I had met the Queen in the grounds of Windsor Castle and she said she read my blog. You'd be amazed at how many people fell for that.

What is your writing style?
Very conversational. I tend to write my blog as I would speak.

What do people commonly say about your site?
They tend to highlight the gossipy side, but I guess that's why it is popular.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing your blog?
Watching Coronation Street...

Why should someone visit your site?
Not for me to say, but I suppose it gives them some sort of insight into the Conservative Party and centre right politics.

What did you learn from your first love?
That I didn't like eight year old girls with runny noses

Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
Apart from the usual suspects of Guido Fawkes and Conservative Home, my regular reads include Dizzy Thinks, Nadine Dorries, Wife in the North and Norfolk Blogger

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
Richard Nixon - a truly complicated, fascinating and misunderstood man.

What one website would you recommend and why?
18 Doughty Street.com - it's where I appear live for three hours every night!

Tell us about a good deed you have done recently.
I gave away my FA Cup Final ticket to a friend who has been following West Ham for 40 years but didn't get a ticket. I hated doing it, but I knew I had to. Everything came out right in the end as someone then gave me a ticket at the last minute.

As a former Conservative party candidate, how would you engage people in politics more?
There's got to me more of a dialogue. Politicians tend to talk at people. They need to be on 'receive' as well as 'broadcast'. The internet is great in this regard and really helps politicians speak to bespoke groups.

What one policy would you most like to action in government?
Establish an English Parliament.

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
Bill Clinton is on the beach at Martha's Vinyard and finds that an old bottle has washed ashore. When the Prez opens it, a very pale Genie snakes out.
Genie : Hi Bill, I'm a very weak genie so I can only grant you one wish and it had better be easy if you want me to do it.
Clinton : I pray for world peace, give me that
Genie : That's a little hard, give me something easier.
Clinton : Make Hillary into the most beautiful woman in the world?
Genie : World peace it is then.

Joe Blogs : Topical joke there Iain. Wow I never thought I'd get a former politician to answer one question, let alone the several I asked here! Iain Dale is the highest profile interview I have had in the British political arena. Iain stood in a general election for the Conservative party in Norfolk North in 2005, and acted as the chief of staff to Rt Hon David Davis MP, in the recent Conservative Party leadership campaign.

Currently Iain Dale works as a freelance broadcaster, and has many credits including being a regular newspaper reviewer on BBC News 24, and writer for publications. He is often invited on to programmes as a political pundit or analyst. So it's great that Iain was able to answer my questions, and maybe engage more people in politics. I'd recommend you look at his blog, which is by all accounts one of the best political blogs in the UK. It highlights current affairs, and the ins an outs of politics in the UK. This is all done with a dash of humour, and the odd exclusive!

Got me thinking, how can politics be more engaging for people?

Your Site Address : Iain Dale's Diary