Sunday, February 04, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #64 Pass The Buck, It's Jason Buckley!

Name : Jason Buckley
Age : 34
Location : Bay Area, California
Vocation : Graphic Artist/Management dork
Philosophy : "There's a fine line between clever and stupid" - David St. Hubbins

Sum up what your blog is about.
Well, my blog is about a whole lot of things. It started out as a live production diary for my first film. The film is a trashy underground political comedy, and when production wrapped I kept going with cynical, sarcastic and snarky political posts, getting angrier and angrier as the political scene here in the US got sh***ier and s***tier. Then about a year and a half ago I found out my wife was pregnant and I quit blogging while re-prioritizing my life. But with the political tide turning and people throwing their hats in the ring for the next presidential election, I couldn't resist starting it back up again.

Why are you doing your blog?
Partially to promote my film, partially to piss off people who I disagree with, and partially because I'm a giant attention whore.

What's the funniest entry on your blog?
It's hard to say. There's about 3 years worth of material there and I can't even remember everything there. I did a version of The Aristocrats involving the Bush family and other prominent republicans on another blog which was particularly funny. I also have my film broken up into 11 episodes, all posted on the right hand sidebar, and I think the first 4 episodes are the funniest, then there's a bit of a second act lull, but it comes back hard in the third act.

What is your writing style?
Sometimes clever, sometimes angry, sometimes cynical, sometimes personal, most of the time sarcastic.

How much would you sell your blog for?
Somewhere in the low 5 figures, just enough to get the hell out of debt. But there are only so many Jason Buckley's out there, none of us are famous, and of the few who have contacted me, none have made me an offer for the domain.

What do people commonly say about your site?
When I quit blogging in the summer of 05, a lot of people had very nice things to say, but I've also had my share of flame wars on there. Unfortunately at some point during the year and a half that I was not blogging, I had lost all of my old comments.

Why should someone visit your site?
They've gotten tired of all the other opinionated asshats on the internet who think their opinions are worth being read by random strangers and figured maybe I've got something different?

What was the most valuable lesson you learnt working in politics?
Never put all your hopes into any political organization. At some point they'll always let you down.

Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
I really enjoy freakgirl.com/blog - she's one of my oldest internet friends. I got my dad started blogging and he's managed to build himself a huge following at budbuckley.com/blog - I don't read it as often as I should, but I always enjoy it when I do. I haven't read Nappy Diatribe in ages (url in my blogroll) but he is funny as hell.

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
I'd say Howard Stern, but he's the first to admit that he's really boring off the air. So I'd have to take his hilarious sidekick Artie Lange who makes everywhere he goes into a raging party. He really enjoys eating, tells a great story, and is possibly the funniest man alive right now.

What would you change, if you were President of the USA?
What wouldn't I change? There would be sweeping socio-economic reforms, a complete overhaul of the criminal justice system, no more people going to prison for victimless bullshit "crimes," more privacy, cut taxes for the working classes and tax the churches to pay for it... but since the president can't really do any of that stuff, I'd probably just change the color of the White House. I think it would look more homey with nice wood shingles.

What one website would you recommend and why?
Demonoid if you have a bit torrent client, you can download ANYTHING from this site!

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
This guy walks into a talent agent's office and says "have I got an act for you!" ... oops, I probably don't want to do that one here. Anyway, my boss is a complete tool. He's a paranoid, angry, abusive little man with a Napoleonic complex and the early stages of full blown senility creeping in. So one day he's complaining to me about another guy there and he says "Mike's got a lousy attitude. I don't get it. I've called him every name in the book and that hasn't changed it."

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Buy a Mac.

Any interesting travel stories?
More of a travel observation... Graceland is kind of small, and really tacky.

What's the most incredible thing that ever happened to you.
Well first and foremost I've got to say seeing my daughter born, but that doesn't make for as good a story as the second most incredible thing that ever happened to me.

About 2 weeks after moving to San Francisco, I took my acoustic bass to this spot in Golden Gate Park where they have impromptu jams. When I got there, I saw that there was some sort of production going on. So I went down the hill and started playing with the hippies and somebody came along and asked us to sign releases to be in a Santana video. So they set up a full mariachi band next to us, Santana's percussionists sit down, and out comes Carlos Santana. They shot video over the recorded track, but Carlos had his guitar amped and was doing his solos live. So between takes, he would jam out with the crowd.

At one point he goes into Third Rock From the Sun. He starts playing the bass line on his guitar and looks straight at me, the only guy with a bass, and gives me a nod. I kick in with the bass line, he starts playing the lead, and we were just locked in together, rocking out and sharing a musical moment. I get goosebumps just typing about it.

And finally, what would you wish for with 3 wishes?
1) Enough money to live comfortably and not have to deal with bulls**t. 2) Perfect health for my family 3) oh yeah, and world peace

Now it's your turn! Ask me one question, anything you like.
Who do you think would win in a fight between Henry Rollins and Glenn Danzig?

Joe Blogs : Not knowing either of them I couldn't really hazard a guess. Probably Henry, Glenns more of a girly name.

Your site address : Jason Buckly