Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview With Sharp Shooter #84

Name : Wyatt Earp
Age : 37 (Old Coot)
Location : Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Vocation : Big City Police Detective
Philosophy : Yell loudly and carry a big gun!

Sum up what your blog is about.
It's about 1,300 posts. Heh. Actually, I once described it as Rants And Ravings From A Philadelphia Police Detective. I post about everything from crime, to entertainment, to posts about fluffy little clouds.

Why are you doing your blog?
Well, if I didn't, I'd be sitting a top a clock tower with a sniper rifle. It's stress relief, and since I was Editor-in-Chief of my high school and university newspapers, it's something I love to do.

What's the funniest entry on your site?
Every post is funny, damnit! Actually, since I am my own worst critic, I would let my readers be the judge of that. However, my recent post about Snow in Philly got some pretty good reviews.

What is your writing style?
I would describe it as a hodge-podge of snark and sarcasm, with sparse helpings of comedy.

What do people commonly say about your site?
I once asked my readers to give testimonials. Almost every one was filled with sarcasm and bile. I was so proud that I posted them in my sidebar for everyone to enjoy.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing your blog?
As my wife is constantly telling me, I would be spending more time with my family. I stopped my first blog in early 2005. Six months later, I came crawling back. Blogging is addictive; like literary crack.

Why should someone visit your site?
Because I am the law, and I said so!!! Heh. Actually, I would suggest that people stop by, read a few selected posts, and decide for themselves. SYLG is not for everyone, but I have earned 77,000 hits since June 2005, so someone must like what I'm doing here.

What did you learn from your first love?
It is MUCH easier to meet girls when they approach you first. My first love (Tara) asked me to dance with her at a high school social. Whew! No pressure there.

Are there any blogs you enjoy reading?
I visit those in my sidebar at least once a week, and love them all. I am lucky enough to be a contributor at Blogs4Bauer, and its popularity is amazing. I also like First In!, Fmragtops, Pay Heed to the Geek, and What Panda?

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
No contest : Theodore Roosevelt. In my opinion, he was the greatest President in American history. Police Commissioner of NYC, Nobel Peace Prize winner,Conservationalist,Teddy did it all.

What one website would you recommend and why?
I love IMDB. For a movie maniac like myself, it is the one-stop-shop for all things Hollywood. And it is a terrific database for those obscure movie quotes.

Tell us about a good deed you have done recently.
I saved a beached whale by removing a golf ball from its blowhole. Oh, that was a George Costanza good deed. A few days ago, Philly received a few inches of snow during a winter storm. My neighbors are elderly, and the missus and I shoveled their sidewalks. It would have been easier on the back if we had a snow blower, but what are ya gonna do?

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
It's a police story, so it is chock full of sardonic humor, but here is one from a previous post : Are you having trouble with the BMV? Are you perilously close to having your license suspended? Do you run red lights with impunity? Well, fear not, the Philadelphia Police Department is ready to help. One of the more common reports my detective division is receiving involves identity fraud. Of course, in the crud hole that is my division, the toads are taking this one step further. These jackasses are reporting the following : Someone is using my identity when they are getting pulled over, and now I am getting the traffic citations! Right. Strangely enough, some portly detective is running around town saying he is me, when in actuality, the real me weighs about 120 pounds. The trouble is that the officers are taking these reports seriously. Can you imagine? Hell, anyone can say that someone else is using their name and address when they get pulled over. I mean, who's going to be able to prove otherwise? Would you like to know why detectives rarely have the time to investigate crimes more fully? It is because we have to deal with nonsense like this.

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Sleep with Anna Nicole Smith post haste! Her ovaries pave the road to riches.

Any interesting travel stories?
Except for a few jaunts to Canada with my parents, I have never been outside the States. My friends are going to the Davos Ice Hockey Tournament in Switzerland this December, but forces outside my control (read: the wife) won't allow me to go. Dang.

What's the most incredible thing that ever happened to you?
I was in an auto accident with the then-Miss America. Really.

Now it's your turn! Ask me one question, anything you like.
Is English food as bad as I think?

Joe Blogs : A lot of the food commonly eaten is processed and uninteresting. There are some great dishes such as bangers and mash, toad in the hole, and of course the world famous English Breakfast. The hot desserts are great, sticky toffee pudding, apple pie and custard etc. There is a lot of choice available though, Chinese, Indian, Pizza restaurants etc.

Your Site Address : Sharp Shooters