Monday, February 19, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #83 Buckley's Blog

Name : Julia Buckley
Age : 30
Location : London
Vocation : Rock Star – unfortunately this has so far been thwarted by the fact that I am unable to sing or play any musical instrument, but it is only a matter of time until I am discovered.
Philosophy : Take a chance, while you’ve still got a choice.


Sum up what your blog is about.
Me, me, me, and me. And cake.

Why are you doing your blog?
Attention seeking. Displacement activity because I’m too weirdly scared to work on my novel. Because I work from home and have no one to talk to. And a host of other psychologically healthy reasons.

What’s the funniest entry on your site?
That’s a tough one. I think it’s hard to pick out what’s funniest of your stuff – that’s for other people to decide really.

My favourite posts are the ones that are funny but have a bit of a message to them as well. The Crumblies of Today, was a recent one about how older people are laying into young people because they’re not the way they were when they were kids. I tried to point out that older people are not the way their parents generation were when they were their age either – the world’s changed and so has everyone in it. Hopefully that came across as well as the humour.

What is your writing style?
I just say it like I see.

What do people commonly say about your site?
The other week someone said my blog persona is a bit like Alice from the Vicar of Dibley. I had hoped I sounded a bit sharper than that. There is irony in there if you look for it, honest.

What would you be doing if you weren’t doing your blog?
Being much more productive and probably earning more money.

Why should someone visit your site?
I dunno – because they feel sorry for me maybe?

What did you learn from your first love?
Teenage boys smell a bit funny and don’t kiss very well.

Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
No. Only mine… Of course, loads. Too many to list here, check out my blogroll.

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
God, a dinner party? Um, some supermodels I suppose – because I don’t cook. I’m thinking they’d probably be happy with a few crumbs, or some bird seed, or dust, or something.

What one website would you recommend and why?
I love Stuff On My Cat It just cracks me up. I probably find it a lot more funny than it actually is though. I’m like that sometimes.

Tell us about a good deed you have done recently.
Not invited any supermodels to a dinner party.

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
People pay me to write. Ha! And I don’t even mind doing it. In fact, I really quite like it. Fools.

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Learn to play guitar and join a rock band. Either that or become a spy. Also, I would tell myself all the lottery numbers so that I would know that my numbers were wrong and so I shouldn’t bother playing - thus saving a clear £1 each week. Just think, I would have £260 by now!

Any interesting travel stories?
Err, not really. My holidays mostly involve walking, and reading (because I am so rock). I made a pilgrimage to Woburn Abbey last summer though - see my post on, Tea Lovers Heroine.

Any writing tips?
Just be yourself for goodness sake. I find all the poncey-ness surrounding writing really annoying. It’s not some kind of mystical magical gift-from-the-gods, it’s just communication. And good writing is about good communication, so write so people can understand you – not to impress.

What’s the most incredible thing that ever happened to you?
Ah, well that has to be the time when I was looking for a pen in my handbag and I couldn’t find one, but during my fumblings I discovered a Malteaser – what a chocolate-covered-honeycomb bonus that was.

Your Site Address : Buckley On The Blog