Sunday, February 18, 2007

Joe Blog's Interview #82 Thriller In Manila

Name : Lizza
Age : Turning 36 very, very soon
Location : Manila, Philippines
Vocation : I write
Philosophy : It's a toss-up between Dum spiro spero and In vino beer veritas.

Sum up what your blog is about.
It's just my thoughts about anything and nothing--which pretty much covers almost everything.

Why are you doing your blog?
To unburden my mind of lots of detritus, which I then pass off to unsuspecting visitors. Haha!

What's the funniest entry on your site?
Everything there is funny. Oh, wait. Did you mean haha-funny? Then there probably isn't anything that's that kind of funny on my blog. I'm not exactly known for comedy writing.

What is your writing style?
Depends on my mood. Sometimes straight to the point, sometimes fluffy, sometimes emo, sometimes just plain silly, always personal.

What do people commonly say about your site?
The people I know have said that it's so me. Whether that's good or bad though, I have absolutely no idea.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing your blog?
I'd be reading others' blogs; it's pretty much what I do today. My friend Victor and I run some sites including Expat Interviews and Weight Loss Tips--and many of the people we've featured in our sites have awesome blogs. Maybe I'd also be doing some traveling, I've always wanted to do that.

Why should someone visit your site?
Because it's there. Oh, okay. For ummmm...some good karma.

What did you learn from your first love?
That being highly intelligent and a kick ass dancer and having Mickey Mouse ears do not a good boyfriend make.

Are there any blogs you enjoy reading?
Heaps of them. Humor blogs, insightful blogs, personal blogs, family blogs--I enjoy reading them all. But there are three blogs where the writing strikes a chord deep within me: Shout (by H in India), An Unreliable Witness (by a Brit blogger) and Thwarting Complacency (by J. Sony in the USA). I want to write the way they do when I grow up.

If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
The Mad Hatter (because he's a crazy but wise dude), and that elusive clique known as they--because they always seem to know everything.

What one website would you recommend and why?
Just one? Man, that's like asking me to pick just one book out of all the ones I enjoy.
But, okay. Thesaurus.com. Because all those words just excite the butterflies in my tummy. Yummy (the words, not the butterflies).

Tell us about a good deed you have done recently.
I will NOT. And I think it's a good thing that I won't. :-)

Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
A gay friend of mine was in a taxi, talking to someone. Suddenly he started groping for something in his bag, his pockets, his seat. "Shit!" he kept saying. "What's wrong?" his friend asked. "I can't find my cell phone!" Of course, he realized a few seconds later that he was using his damn phone talking to his friend. I don't even want to imagine what the cab driver thought about the whole incident.

What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Quit your job and start freelancing. NOW!

Any interesting travel stories?
Well, there was one time I really thought I was going to die. I was shaking, my palms were sweating, my skin felt clammy. I thought I was inadvertently going to do Number Two. My whole life flashed before my glazed-over eyes. That moment immediately preceding my first plane ride--takeoff!--was the longest ten seconds of my life.

How is life in Manila?
Life can be fast-paced, it can be laid back; depends on where you live in Manila and what you do. It's a vibrant, cosmopolitan city. Large parts of it are modern (read very Western and busy); there are also sections of overwhelming poverty. But I think we're a happy people as a whole. If you ever come to visit Manila, you should look beyond the problems to enjoy the gems--not the least of which are many of the people here.

What's the most incredible thing that ever happened to you?
"Hearing my children's first wail immediately after they were born. Priceless."

Now it's your turn! Ask me one question, anything you like.

What's the best and worst part about living in England?

Joe Blogs : Best part is it's multicultural, worst part is the weather.

Your Site Address : I Am Woman, See Me Blog!